This weekend was awesome and today was fantastic. My uncle, my mom and I traveled to Greensboro on Saturday and visited with loved ones we had not seen in a long time. Unfortunately the last time my mom and uncle saw them was at a funeral for one of the family's siblings and their cousin. So we traveled back in order to show support and to let them know we care for and about them. This morning I was really excited and a little nervous because we were going to my mom's home church, Mt. Carmel Holiness Church in Madison, NC. I had not been to Mt. Carmel in years. But it's still in the same place, in the same building, with the same smiling friendly faces and same pastor. We walked in during the worship service and immediately saw our family members around us and in the front of the church. I saw my great Aunt Ramona, my cousin Glen and Jean, my cousin Harold, my cousin Ronnie, and several cousins I didn't remember or know. But even though we had not been there in a long time and the last occasions we were there were for funerals it felt like home. We had a good service and we were happy to see everyone and they were happy to see us too. My cousin Jean sang in the choir, my Aunt Ramona anointed people with oil and my cousin Glen preached the message. And I thought about how several generations of my family have passed through those doors over the years and then several generations passed through those doors today. You can go home again.
It was such a blessing for all of us to be reunited with one another. The times that we see each other have been few and far between. And in the last year I have felt so disconnected from my family members, not just my extended family but my immediate family as well. So it was nice to have family that welcomes you with open arms and tells you that they care for you and are concerned with your well being. They were so loving and so gracious. It's just nice to know that there are people who care and who are happy and excited to see you.
I was also happy to be with generations of God-fearing women in my family who have weathered their own storms and lived to tell about it. It gives me strength and encouragement to keep going and to keep pressing on until I make it. I draw strength from knowing that they have been where I am and have succeeded.
I was really glad to see my family and really glad to go home again.
No comments:
Post a Comment