May 26, 2012

New Chapter to My Hair Journey

Last June I was able to use the Miss Jessie's hair care line for the first time. I used the shampoo, conditioner, styler and moisturizer. I received great results and a lot of compliments as well. Compliments and "How did you get your hair like that," always let you know that you are doing something right. So I continued using these products until I would read about something better or have an experience that led me to wanting to try something else. Last summer I needed a lot of help for my hair. I was finally able to get the hair that I wanted with the help of Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and a whole slew of other products. My style would only last about three to four days and then I would have to wash again. My life changed dramatically when last November Miss Jessie's had their BOGO and I was able to try the Curly Merigue without the threat of throwing $22 down the drain. Also at this time I first viewed a video about how to get a twist out from Natural Chica aka Mae on YouTube. Curly Meringue totally changed my styling process and the look and feel of my hair. And Mae gave me the steps I needed in order to get the perfect twist out which has now become my "look". I used Curly Meringue for about two months before I ran out and decided to go back to the Curly Pudding that I had left over. To my surprise I could not use Curly Pudding anymore. It dried my hair out and made it very unmanageable and stiff. I was not sure what I was going to do with it. So I just went back to Curly Meringue. I also introduced a clarifying shampoo that I now use everytime that I was in order to get my hair clean after a week's worth of dirt and product build up. So I started to get great results with that which lasted until the spring. Then it was on for a new moisturizer because Curly Buttercreme just wasn't cutting it and I also needed something all natural that wouldn't potentially clog my scalp. I tried Jane Carter Nourish and Shine and although it felt great it just didn't work for me. I also tried the Kera Care Natural Textures Hair Milk but it didn't seem to deliver what I was looking for either. So I decided to go to the Shea Moisture Curl and Style Hair Milk right as I was on the verge of going back to Curly Buttercreme for lack of anything else. Shea Moisture Hair Milk has been a welcomed and much needed addition to my regimen. I use it everyday to twist up my hair at night and to refresh my curls in the morning. It keeps my hair soft and manageable. I also added in the 100% jojoba and tea tree oils to my styling process and they have made a tremendous difference as well. Also I am now using the Shea Moisture Hold and Shine Moisture Mist instead of just water to wet my hair after applying my oils and leave in. I think it has helped with hold and lessening frizz as well. But most importantly I have finally achieved real natural hair. Although I have been natural, without a relaxer, for the last three years I never big chopped and got rid of my relaxed hair. So my hair has been growing out and shedding the relaxed hair for the last three years. But I believe that the changes I am seeing in the curliness and less need for product in my hair are a direct result of actually having my true natural hair on my head now instead of the vestiges of my old relaxed hair hanging on with the natural hair. My hair has never looked so good or felt so good. I am also helping it to grow and stay healthy with regular trims every 6-8 weeks. So its exciting to see how far it has come after three years of natural and only a year of a proper hair care regimen. I am really excited to see it a year from now and to see how far it can go in the next year of being fully natural. 

No comments:

Post a Comment