February 16, 2010

I Wish There Was More to Say

Over the last two weeks I have been getting better acquainted with the New York museum community. I had two breakthroughs last week when I was accepted as a docent at the Museum of the City of New York and then interviewed for a collection's manager position at a historical site in Brooklyn. Now comes the hard part of figuring out what to do as I am constantly reminded of my lack of financial resources. I'm looking at working in New York which would require me to take the train from New Jersey and then the NYC Subway everyday or however many days I have to work in the City. The docent position is unpaid and the collection's manager position is part time. So I would still need a part time job on top of these two positions in order to be able to afford to do either or both. Dilemma. But there is more light at the end of the tunnel because I have started to notice a few museums that are posting jobs on their website. Hallelujah! I hope this is a sign of more jobs to come. It has really been weighing on me heavily to get back to having my own life. It was nice to take a forced time out from doing anything for a while but after so long you start to want to have the things you used to (i.e. girls nights, pajama days, being able to decorate). I do hope that within the next several weeks if not in a month I am working again regularly and in the next year I would like to be back in my own apartment. I know that I just have to keep being patient but despite my lapses into despair things are really looking up! And eventually there will be more to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment