Yesterday I tried to get my driver's license changed over from DC to New Jersey but I wasn't able to because the machines were down at the DMV. So today I tried again. I went to the DMV and this time I was more sure of how to get there because I had already driven there yesterday. When I got there everything was silent and all eyes were on a security guard and a guy who were yelling at each other. Apparently heated words had been exchanged between them before I arrived and everyone was waiting and watching to see what was going to happen next. They eventually took it outside and the guy who was having the issues with the security guard never came back in. After getting my paperwork approved I ended up waiting 20 min in the wrong line to get my license changed over. Then I got into the other line and finally made it to the window with about 10 min before the DMV was going to close. I got all the paperwork approved and then the lady told me that it was going to be $34. I told her that I thought it was only $10. Apparently the physical license is $10 but you have to purchase a separate permit that costs you $24. So I had to use my gas money to get my license. Oh the irony of getting my license only to not have any gas money to get anywhere. So I just went ahead and paid because I was not coming back to the Fight Club DMV again until my license expires in 2014. So I made it out with my license and then rushed to the bank to deposit the money I had for gas before the check I just wrote would be cashed. On the way home I was overcome by the stress of not having enough money. Most of the time when I don't need anything and I don't have to go anywhere I forget that life is stressful but I was reminded of how necessary it is to have employment and how necessary it is to have resources. It was very depressing and I got really overwhelmed. But then I just took a deep breath and I just chose to focus on the fact that this week I did apply for several jobs and I had two positive contacts with the museum professionals that I spoke with earlier in the week. Even though it still feels like I am just waiting, waiting, waiting I have been actively pursuing not only my career but opportunities that would help me to bridge the gap to the career that I want.
Last week I watched a movie that I had not seen since college. It's called In America. It's a great movie that chronicles the lives of an Irish family that moves to New York in the 1980s. They come with great hopes and even though life is not easy for them when they get there, there are minor and major triumphs that keep them hopeful for the future. It was a great reminder that you have to take challenges and and embrace new circumstances for what they are. The family struggles with living in the past as they are having great difficulty in the present and they realize they have to let the past go. It's hard for them and they have trouble doing so but in the end they are the better for it. I was really inspired by this movie when I first saw it and I had thought about it not too long ago. It was so good to see it and I'm glad to be reminded of the truths that the movie presented.
The week is winding down and there is snow coming in this weekend. I think I am going to take some time and read and journal this weekend to brainstorm what I am going to do next. I feel like I have exhausted all possibilities but I am sure that there are more out there and I need to find them.
Just another ordinary day!
No comments:
Post a Comment