
Today I woke up and thought about the fact that my new New Jersey license expires in 2014. That is the same year that the 40th anniversary of the Boston busing crisis will probably be examined. It was in 1974 when Judge Garrity decided to integrate Boston's public schools leading to violence and chaos that echoed the same scenes in Mississippi and Alabama in the 50s and 60s. The nation was even further shocked when in 1976 Ted Landsmark, a black lawyer living in Boston (who I have been fortunate to meet and speak with, was almost beheaded by an American flag in front of the mayor's office right before we celebrated our bicentennial. I wrote my Master's thesis on the 10 years prior to 1974 and how Boston's own civil rights movement has gone unnoticed for years. This morning a life goal was born to make my thesis a book by the same date of the Garrity decision in 2014.
Work to do!
No comments:
Post a Comment