May 22, 2011

"Bad Company Corrupts Good Character" 1Corinthians 15:33

In the Amplified Bible it says it like this, "Do not be so deceived and misled! Evil companionships (communion, associations) corrupt and deprave good manners and morals and character." I chose to use this verse for my title because today in church Pastor Gool taught on, "Who is Going to Hell?" The reason he did was that he was led by the Spirit to do so. He said that he believed that he was led to give us this message because there are too many Christians who are living their lives in such a way that if the world had ended yesterday or were to end any day in the near future they would not be going to heaven. He broke it down to four categories of people who won't go to heaven: those who reject Jesus, those that commit to a life of sin, those who have turned their back on God after having learned the truth about Him, and those that attribute the works of God to the devil. He spoke on each of these categories and explained what these kinds of lifestyles and choices look like. He said that in the days that we are in we can't afford to let things just slide anymore and we have to be vigilant about what we associate ourselves with and allow into our lives. He said that too many Christians have an open door for the world in their lives and they believe that at any time they can close it and not allow for it to lead them astray or cause them to fail. But he said that we can't be sure that once we open the door that we can leave that life behind. We need to be preventative about not even getting to the point of the door being open. Pastor Gool didn't use the verse from 1 Corinthians that I quoted above but as he was speaking that verse came back to me. I think it is so important what we align ourselves with in every area of our lives whether it's the relationships that we have, the things we listen to on the radio or watch on TV, the places we go,the things that we do and say and even the people we vote for in political elections. I think all of us have those moments where we feel like we need to cut out certain things from our lives and sometimes we are successful in getting rid of those things all together but sometimes only for a little while before we allow them right back in. We are constantly at war with the flesh. But I think the thing that was impressed on me today is that we are going to constantly be faced with those kinds of decisions but it's the things that we think are harmless that can overtake us if we aren't careful to just cut them out and get rid of them all together. The message made me think of the things that I allow in my life that are questionable to me at times. Whether it's TV shows I watch, music I listen to, who I follow on Twitter, or even the people that I listen to or support either with my money or my time. I know that I will be re-evaluating some things in my life over the next few weeks and praying that the Lord will lead me and guide me to cut out the things that don't need to be in my life. I think one of the main dangers of bad company (associations, liaisons, communications, groups, dealings, assemblies etc) is that it can be so subtle in its influence over you that it can take you over. I think about the rise of Nazism in Germany and it didn't start out with plans to annihilate the whole of European Jewry but the fervor with which people supported the Nazi party and eventually Hitler grew from simple coffee talks in underground meeting places to massive displays of nationalism in public places. Not that you will become a Nazi or commit yourself to a cause that is evil in intent but you may be supporting things that you do not necessarily agree with if you are not careful about your associations. It's so important especially in this day and time to know where you stand because there will come a day when there is a line drawn and you want to know which side you are with and not be surprised at who you find yourself in the company of. I read an article in Kenneth Copeland's monthly magazine yesterday that was speaking to the importance of intercession and prayer in the last of the last days, which we are in. I have heard for some time that we are in the last days but I haven't heard about being in the last of the last days before. But I certainly believe that we are in the final days of this world. The article spoke to how God wants to partner with man to bring great things into the earth in these final days but He needs people who know His word, pray His word and speak His word. The Bible says that we can call those things that be not as though they were and we can use God's word to back up what we need or are praying for. But if you don't know the Word for yourself then you are at a disadvantage for being able to know what your role in the end of days is. It's important to have a relationship with your own Bible. Other people can teach you and help you and explain the Bible to you but you need to know what it says for yourself so that if anyone says something not in line with the Bible you will know what is truthful. Pastor Gool mentioned the situation yesterday with Harold Camping and the prediction that the world was going to end and Jesus was coming back. He said that yesterday was not the end of the world but what if it had been, where would you be right now? Would you be in heaven or would you be in hell? You make a decision as to whether or not you will follow Christ but then you have to maintain that decision by the way that you live your life. You can't live like the world, talk like the world, watch what the world watches, and expect to go to heaven because your lifestyle is not reflective of someone who is devoted to God. The verse of the top advises to not be fooled or deceived. Don't let yourself fall into deception about what is going on around us. The signs are all around us that there are major shifts going on in the earth, which I believe are reflective of what is going on in the spiritual realm. Satan knows his time is coming to an end and he wants to take as many people with him to hell as possible. The Bible tells us that the enemy comes to kill, steal and destroy and that is exactly what he is doing now (John 10:10). So align yourself with righteousness and with those things that are supportive of God's word. Let go of bad company whether it's relationships, TV shows, songs, jokes, harsh speech, or immorality. You never know what day could be your last whether it is before Jesus comes back or the day He does return you want to be ready at all times. I wrote this blog as much for myself as anyone else, I mentioned earlier that I need to make changes and clean house. Pastor Gool also said today that there is no man or woman worth going to hell over. I don't think there is anything in this world that is worth going to hell over. God desires for all of His people to be with Him in heaven, hell wasn't created for us to be there, it was created for the devil and his angels but man fell and through his sin he has been separated from God. But God made a way for us through Jesus Christ to have relationship, right standing and salvation which allows for us to enter back into right relationship with Him and to be able to share heaven with Him. Don't let bad company keep you out of a good heaven created for you by a Father who loves you unconditionally!

No comments:

Post a Comment