March 17, 2012

You Know School of Rock? It's Not Like That

This past week was my first full week of substitute teaching. Why they don't offer a Nobel Prize for Teaching, I will never know. But up until last Monday I had only been a sub three times, one time didn't really count because I watched a class and another teacher did all the work. So on Thursday of the previous week I was only subbing for my third time. A little girl coughed on me ironically as I was giving her hand sanitizer and by Saturday I was fully congested and had a soar throat. Sunday I added a cough to the list and that was how I started Monday. I didn't know if I could make it on Monday but I was motivated by the need for cash and the fact that it is a pretty steady way of keeping a job that has great hours and other rewards as well. I had previously been with second grade and Kindergarten which were a handful, I hoped that third grade would be a little better. I was wrong. I had third grade three days this week and my only comment on the experience is that I am glad we are all alive, me and the children. The last two days of the week I thought that I would find solace in fifth grade only to learn that it comes with its own issues as well. The thing I had to keep learning and telling myself was that I just had to go with the flow. The flow was a rushing, whitewater river not a delicate stream. But I blessed to have some teachers and support staff who came to my aid just when I thought I would be swallowed up whole by the difficulties of each day. Everyone should hug a teacher. They really are on the same level of public service with police and the fire department, we just don't know how much so. I also had the blessing of being at one school the whole week which makes and incredible difference because you become comfortable in the environment and you get to know the people and they get to know you and that can be a great help when you are in trouble or in need.

I also learned some things about myself as well. Although I am not a self-professed "kid person", I really like children and I enjoy being with them. Another thing I learned which was not a surprise to me was that I am not tough in the sense that I am not intimidating. I would yell to get these children to try and do what I wanted them to do but they looked me dead in my face and turned right back around and kept doing what they were doing. I have not developed the ability to scare a child which I kind of like about myself. I hope that I don't have to substitute teach long enough to develop that because it just makes for a hard day for everyone. Instead my go to plan is just getting rid of behaviour problem children and hoping that the rest will do what they need to do. It's a learning process and I just starting out so I have to keep reminding myself that this is not my forte. I am learning and I just hope to get better as each new job comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment