August 21, 2011

Good Times...Ain't We Lucky We Got 'Em

This past weekend was filled with good times. On Saturday I went to see a friend of mine from DC who now lives in South Carolina. We had a great time catching up over coffee and pastries at Amelie's . We had a great time together and I appreciated her listening ear. So many times I feel as though people in my life are not listening to me. They dismiss my feelings and opnions. But this friend listened and she didn't try to answer or fix the things that I was telling her about my life but just said she understood how I felt and in some cases could identify with the very problems that I was facing. It was just nice to have someone to confide in and to share with. Never underestimate the value of a GOOD friendship.

Then that evening I went to the celebration of my aunt's 50th birthday. I got to catch up with relatives and friends that I had not seen in a long time and I got to hear all about my aunt Sharen's recent trip to Europe. It was a very nice time. We had soul food and watched a video montage of my aunt's life and just chatted with one another. While I was there I got to share with my aunt and a friend of the aunt whose birthday it was about my hair care regimen. It is so amazing that just a few months ago I was at a loss about what to do with my hair and really wondering if I would be wearing a pony poof forever or if even going natural was the right choice for me because I was so frustrated with the difficulties of finding products that worked for me and helped me achieve the look that I wanted. Whenever I spotted a woman with natural hair that had the curl and bounce that I wanted I was just longing to go up to her and ask her what she did. Then also I was in need of money to finance the venture of trying out the different products as well. But I am thankful that now I am in the position of people coming up to me and asking me what I do to my hair and how I get it the way that I wear it. And I love being able to pass on the knowledge that I have gained through my hair journey to help others as they go through theirs. It's so rewarding to have had this experience of coming into my own where my hair is concerned and feeling that all of my efforts have been worth that moment when someone gives me a complement on my hair and asks me about what I do so they can then experience what I have felt in achieving my goals with my hair. I am really thankful and grateful to the Lord for blessing me with the finances to be able to afford the products that it takes for me to maintain my hair and I am thankful that it finally has the look that I have been wanting to achieve since I first went natural in Fall '08. I'm just really thankful.

It was a great weekend and I am so thankful to have family and friends and just really thankful for the things that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment