Just call me Sondra Huxtable! Today was the first day that I had taken down my twists since last Monday. I originally did the two strand twists on last Saturday. I had been putting Jojoba oil on the ends each day and every other day I was putting on the Curly Buttercreme. So I made sure that my twists were maintained even while being under a cap most of the week. So I was interested to see what my hair looked like when I took it down to go to church this morning. I was really glad that all of my twists had made it through the week and when I took them down they were still spiraling. They were a little stiff at first but I put a little buttercreme on my finger tips and separated the twists into four separate twists and gave it a little shape. It was still looking stiff when I left the house but it looked okay. We got to church and had a great service. When we came out I looked in the mirror on the visor in my mom's car and too my surprise saw that my curls had become "inflated" in a good way. They were bouncy and framing my face. We had lunch and after lunch I went to the restroom and I saw my hair in the full mirror for the first time today. I was SO excited! I had the Sondra Huxtable curls I have been aiming for. I am so amazed that it took me this long to try the two stranded twists and to realize that it would yield the look that I was aiming for this whole time of being natural. And I couldn't believe that the longer my hair was in this style the better it would look. I still can't believe that I have achieved 7 day hair. I have read blogs where people have said they only wash their hair once or twice a month and I have wondered how in the world they do that. But with this style I could see being able to do that for myself. It is so exciting when you look in the mirror and know that you finally have the style of hair that you have been trying to achieve. I was so excited earlier this summer when I first got my hair care regimen together and got the products to help me get the look that I wanted but I wasn't fully satisfied with that look. I would get about 2 days of great hair before it just became a frizzy mess and I HAD to wash it. Also it took a lot of product to maintain that style. With the double strand twist I don't need the Moisture Mist or the Perfect Curl for maintenance, just the Curly Buttercreme and the jojoba oil. I was very hesitant about trying the two strand twist but now I am so glad that I did. I had kind of become bored with the style I had before and I wanted more length and curl definition which is exactly what I was able to achieve with the double strand twist. I have wanted my hair to look like this since I first went to the Royal Beauty Supply on 8th Street in SE D.C. I went in expecting to buy a couple of products and magically have instant curls. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into at the time, a natural hair journey. But I have to say that today was definitely a full circle moment for me because I have finally achieved what I have been trying to get to for so long. *SIGH* So happy! This week I'm getting my 6 week trim and I am going to not get any heat. I am just going to get my hair washed and trimmed.
No comments:
Post a Comment