November 14, 2011

Hair Update

Last week I achieved my own hair nirvana. I had been trying for loose, soft, wavy curls for awhile but I could not get them. Then I saw a tutorial on how to do the double strand twist and I also gave in and bought some Curly Buttercreme. All of a sudden my hair became exactly what I had hoped for. I was so excited. However, I was very much caught up in hair blog criticism about naturals not using natural products. I went on the quest for searching for and making lists of the products that I needed to get when I had run out of the things that I currently have. Then I had a revelation of the fact that just because some products may work for someonelse's hair does not mean that they will work on mine. And that if I achieved my hair nirvana with certain products then it was in my hair's best interest that I use those products so that I can continue to achieve the same look. I was a bit concerned because some of the products I was using had petroleum, lanolin, and mineral oil which have been labeled "no-nos" by the natural hair community. But I have not had hair that was as soft and manageable with products without those ingredients in them. So I made a decision that as long as my hair stays healthy I am going to keep using those products on my hair. I also decided to go back to my favorite conditioner, Creme de la Creme. There are a few products that are on my list to try but they are only to test to see if they work not a part of a quest to have an all natural, organic hair routine which had somehow become my quest before last week. I had felt a little guilty or less than for using products that got continuous frowny faces and negative comments on the blogosphere but I am glad that I have finally come to a peaceful decision about it and that I can accept it even if others might not. I'm growing my own two natural hair care feet to stand on. It feels good!

No comments:

Post a Comment