March 23, 2010

Showtime at the Apollo

Yesterday was awesome! I had a really great day. I went to New York in the morning super early because I had to catch a ride to Newark with my dad. I got to New York and went to the Starbucks on W35th to get some breakfast. I had not been there that early before and had arrived at the same time as the people headed to work and the tourists headed to the Macy's nearby and other site seeing venues. I ended up getting some of the Pike Place Roast and a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. It was just what I needed but I didn't have a place to sit. I ended up sitting in the window sill behind a guy who was also sharing his table with two German tourists. After my breakfast I went to Herald Square where there were tables and chairs outside and umbrellas that were protecting them from the on and off rain that was passing through. I read outside for a while and then used the public bathroom they have in Herald Square that have sanitized seats! I decided to kill some time and walk to Times Square and catch the subway. When I got there I still had a ton of time so I ended up going to 9th avenue and walking up to Columbus Circle. The walk was great because I haven't been walking in so long. I used to walk everywhere when I lived in DC and now that I live in NJ there is just not enough walking which has led to a huge increase in my weight. But yesterday's walk excited me and felt really good. Plus I got to walk up 9th avenue which is not in the midst of all the touristy hub bub. I took the train uptown to 125th street but I was still early. So I decided to read the New York Post and wait for the time to meet my group at the Apollo. I sat down and waited reading about all the news from the night before and the morning. This older lady sat down next to me and started talking. She was talking about lots of things but mainly about living a life that shows Christ through it and not worrying about your needs because God will supply them. I'm usually not one for speaking to people I don't know but I was actually happy that Ms. Johnson sat down next to me. She was very encouraging even if she wasn't trying to be. But I was encouraged by hearing from her and connecting with her. After about 15 more min I went up to the street. I love 125th street. When I am there it feels so welcoming and like I have been there forever. I love seeing Malcolm's name and Adam Clayton Powell Jr.'s name. I just feel like so many people before me that I belong there, that even though I don't know anyone there there is a place for me. I walked down to the familiar sign. Not only because I have been to Harlem on several occasions and seen this sign but for six months I worked on a project that had me looking at this sign. I walked into the lobby and met the group of MCNY volunteers that were there for the meeting. It was a fabulous group of New York ladies and the leader of the group as well. Several of the ladies had been there for shows when they were younger. We were led through the Apollo's famous hallway past all the murals of all the legendary performers. The theater was so much smaller than I thought it would be but still mesmerizing. We entered the theater itself which has red velvet covered seats and a renovated stage that has the famous Tree of Hope on it. We were given the history of the venue by Mr. Apollo himself, Billy Mitchell, who does all the tours on the Apollo and will be in DC in April for the opening of the Apollo exhibition to speak on his time at the Apollo, since 1964 when he used to be an errand boy for the performers with a young Luther Vandross. We saw the signature wall with many noted performers, personalities and even a president. We walked up the stairs to the dressing rooms where performers like James Brown and Ray Charles have prepared for their Apollo shows. It was amazing to be there and to actually share that same space that people who have contributed so much to African American music and culture and American music and culture have occupied. I hope that at some point I get to go there for a show and experience the Apollo as a member of its audience! After the Apollo I went downtown to have coffee with a great friend, Holly. I love her so much! She is amazing and she is such a great listener. I really enjoy our conversations and I hope that when I move to New York (wink, wink) that we will get to enjoy each other's company much more. I know she has such a bright future. One of the things I think she will do in the future is nurture up and coming small businesses and entrepreneurs. Yesterday she gave me an idea for creating a museum blog, which I had thought of doing before when I did an Internet search looking for someone blogging on museums and couldn't find one. Stay tuned for the launching of a new museum blog from moi! I really had fun yesterday and it was a much welcomed distraction from the frustrations of the day and the last week and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment