March 24, 2010

Sleeping Soundly

I know this is a very mundane topic of choice but sleep has not been easy the last several months. This is not just because I don't have an actual bed but a sectional sofa that I am temporarily using as a bed but also due to bouts with insomnia. There are nights when I lay down exhausted from whatever I tried to do with the day and I just lay there for hours and eventually fall asleep but only for a few hours. Then I am up the next day tired again. But it occured to me that at one time in my life I had the best sleep ever. That was when I used to go to bed every night at 10:00pm, if only I was that way now. This time of sleeping soundly was when I was a freshman in college. I had a roommate that was a night owl and I had classes early so I started taking Melatonin, a natural sleep aid and I got a sleep mask to block out the light from her lamp. So this past week I got a new sleep mask and also some high grade ear plugs. So on Monday I went to Wal-Mart and picked up these things to add to the Melatonin I already had. That night I wondered if this would work or not. I took the Melatonin 30 min before I went to sleep. Then I put in the ear plugs and put on the sleep mask. I settled on the sofa and wondered if it would really work. I have no recollection what happend in the course of the next 5 to 10 minutes. All I know is that the man that lives up stairs and sounds like he will fall through the ceiling everyday did not wake me up and neither did my dad when he got ready and left for work. When I woke up I was super energized and relaxed. And that's how I felt again today when I used my new secret weapons of sleep. How could I not have been doing this for a longer period of time? I wish I had thought about it when I used to fall asleep at 6 am just from being overtired from having insomnia. But now thankfully I know that I can have a good night's rest and not worry. I honestly think that part of the problem was that I was going to sleep too aware. There was light coming in through the windows and I could hear every noise in the apartment: the refridgerator coming on and off, creaks and squeaks of the floor, and any wind or rain going on outside hitting against the windows. So now I can sleep through the night and be fully prepared for whatever is going on the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment