Well today was the third day of my week alone. It started off much earlier than I thought it would which was a good thing. I was awakened by a phone call with a 917 (New York) area code. My curiosity got the better of me and I wondered if perhaps this might be a phone call from some organization or individual in New York. After calling my parents and making sure they traveled safely I checked my messages only to find that it was some credit card company that according to the Internet has been plaguing many people in this area.
After my little stint on the phone I listened to two of my new Joseph Prince messages. They were really good and I learned a lot. I started feeling really sleepy after I finished listening and taking notes. I ate some lunch and then took a really long cat nap. When I finally awoke I finally concentrated enough to do my quiet time. After that I made dinner.
I was looking forward to making this particular dinner of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn on the cobb for a little while and was glad to finally be able to have it. Only I should have concentrated on one thing at a time instead of trying to fix everything together and watch Top Chef. Eventually everything cooked and I got to eat the dinner I really like. Instead of ketchup on my meatloaf, I used KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce which is tangy and sweet and gives the meat a different taste than the ketchup. Eventually I would like to get to the place where I can see things on television or in cookbooks and be able to replicate them at home. I felt like I was kind of doing that when I was on my own in DC because I would cook from recipes or put things together that I thought would taste good together. Evenutally I want to have a fully stocked kitchen and take some classes to know what to do.
Also as I watch Top Chef it's so bittersweet to be like, "Hey, I used to live there!" But I know that I am doing much better here in Jersey. But it is cool to see some of the old places that I used to go like Dupont Circle. On tonight's episode Chef Spike Mendelsohn (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/blogs/yeas-and-nays/More-Good-Stuff_-D_C__s-burger-_king_-set-to-open-pizza-place-8371868-64047442.html) was on as one of the guest judges. I used to live just a few blocks over from Good Stuff Eatery and on nights when I was too lazy to cook or didn't have any groceries I would go to good stuff and grab a burger, some fries or onion rings, and a Boylan soda. It was my favorite restaurant on Capitol Hill and I miss being able to go there. It was always packed and one of the few places that you could go to without there being smoke pouring out of it or drunks everywhere late at night. The best memories of going there were with friends and the conversations and good food that we shared together. I miss it. But the memories I will have forever.
Anyway today was pretty much the laziest day that I have had in a little while but it was nice. I also was avoiding the heat as we are going through a ferocious heat wave with close to and upwards of 100 degrees. I am really thankful that I have electricity and air conditioning because I know that so many people are without power and that it is really miserable to live without air conditioning and electricity.
This weekend my mom is coming back with my dad from Tennessee. I am looking forward to the two of us spending time together and hoping that it won't be too hot to go to New York and have some fun. I am hoping that we get to go to the Louis Armstrong House Museum and then blog about it on my museum blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment