July 23, 2010

Learning Who I Really Am

When I first came to NJ I thought that it was a purely temporary situation and while I can see no long time ties in the future other than staying with my church as long as possible it is still temporary to me. While I have had this time to think and to prioritize I have still questioned whether or not I am supposed to be pursuing museum work. If I were supposed to be working in a museum then I should have gotten any one of the dozens of museum jobs that I have applied for, right? Well this had been the question weighing on my mind for the last 6 mos or so until I started reading Max Lucado's Cure for the Common Life. Then I began to read and learn that everything that I was going to be was already determined for me by God and that He had already equipped me with everything that I needed to be what He made me to be. I also began to learn that not only did He make me specifically to do a specific job but that job I will do will be to honor Him, to help others and to satisfy me by having my purpose fulfilled. This was good news to hear and to see it all spelled out in Max's book was comforting. So as I read more into the book, Max instructed his readers to take inventory of themselves and see what skills and abilities God had given them. So I made a list of my interests since childhood, my hobbies,my passions, and what just in general captivated my attention. The more I thought about it the more things began to reveal that museum curator was not just a bolt of lightening that hit me out of the blue but it was written all over my life from a very young age. It was comforting to know that being a museum curator is what I am supposed to be doing. I couldn't have made up a better profession for myself. Being a curator comprises all of the things that I like the best and that excite me and thrill me and make me want to share with other people. I was so excited that as I thought more and more about the qualities, skills and abilities that I notice on my own that there was a justification for why I was drawn to the museum field and why it has not been easy for me to give up my hopes and dreams of being a museum curator. So I am once again excited that I have an actual tangible list of things that I can look at and say, "Yes, that's me! That's what I am supposed to be doing!" I am really excited to find out what happens in the future. Will I be a museum curator or will there be another career in my future that I haven't even considered yet? Who knows? But I know I must stay positive and keep hopeful about my future.

Galatians 6:9

No comments:

Post a Comment