July 26, 2010

Getting Back in The Swing

This weekend was different than I expected or planned. I stayed up listening to music and then eventually fell asleep late. I got up the next day and decided I needed to get out. I wanted to "do something". I had been in the house all week and it hadn't necessarily been an enjoyable week so I just needed a few hours out. After getting ready I went to the local mall and got a ticket to go see Inception. I had about an hour to kill so I grabbed a burger and then I went and hung out at Target reading books. I'm not sure if I was being followed or not but there appeared a red shirted man in the same isle as me who appeared to be hanging out and possibly seeing if I was going to purchase anything I was looking at. I admit that I did get a bit wrapped up in looking through the book on the Real Housewives but I did try to move on as quickly as possible from each book I was checking out. But he seemed like he didn't care one way or the other. Maybe he was just trying to get some texting in on the sly. But eventually I headed out the door and was off to the movies. I had seen some commercials about Inception and I had read one review in which a very kind reviewer left much of the plot un-discussed in order not to ruin the surprises for everyone. I forgot my jacket which I always end up needing in the theater but I headed in looking forward to a reprieve from the heat and from the apartment. I won't say anything about Inception in case anyone reading this is planning on seeing it but it surprised me immensely. I really enjoyed the plot and felt each of the actors was given a character that didn't get lost in all the action. I really enjoyed the performances of Leo DiCaprio, Ellen Page, Marion Cotillard, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. And I just read today that Christopher Nolan not only directed this movie but also wrote it. I was really impressed but I kind of knew that I would like the movie because he directed two of my other favorite movies, The Prestige and The Dark Knight. It's good to know that in an age when people are making big screen versions of 60s, 70s and 80s sitcoms that there is some creativity and imagination left in Hollywood! After the movie I came home to watch two more movies, Juno and Hairspray, an unlikely combination, I know. But all in all I had a great day and most importantly I enjoyed myself.
The next day I woke up to late to make it to church. I had to sleep with ear plugs because there was noise coming through the walls of the apartment and I didn't hear my alarm, then my phone (with the alarm) died, and I usually sleep harder with the ear plugs. But I watched some ministry broadcasts that morning and felt really good about what I was hearing. Most of the messages had to do with discovering your purpose. I feel that I am close to learning mine. I honestly have no clue anymore what I am going to do in the future. It's a little bit scary but it's nice to know that God cares and that He already has it planned out for me. I used to have such a clearly defined plan of what I wanted to do, where I wanted to work, and things that I planned to accomplish but now that plan has been ripped up and I have come to the realization that I am not on my own schedule anymore. I have to give God the pen and follow where He leads.
On Saturday night I was just really feeling down about a lot of things and really wishing that I had someone to talk to but the fact that I didn't just made me even sadder. So Sunday it was nice to hear some affirmation of the fact that God knows my pain and sorrow but also wants for me to not be condemned or ruled by my feelings. He wants me to believe what the word says instead of what the circumstances or the situations say. So Sunday I just kept hearing messages about that. I wasn't going to go to church that evening but instead I did go after my mother prodded me to. I did feel better after going and seeing some of the familiar faces at church. And the message was right on time too. I felt really good after I left. I came home and got ready to go to bed but I wasn't tired. I think I was just really excited about the future and pumped up from going to service. So I got caught up in Turner Classic Movies and ended up staying up late and watching a movie called Two Women starring Sophia Loren. It's about a woman and her daughter fleeing Rome during the Nazi invasion of Italy and all the hardships that they encounter. I don't think I had seen a Sophia Loren movie before this but I was really impressed by her acting ability and of course her beauty. She was only twenty-six when she made the film but she plays the mother of a 13 year old. I was thoroughly impressed by the realism of her performance. Today I did a little biographical reading and discovered that she probably based her performance on her own experience of living in Italy during WWII. I was really impressed with the film. So then I of course didn't stick to my schedule like I needed to today and I was kind of lost as to where to look for positions as well. But tomorrow I am going to a career fair and I hope to get some good leads there. I know that everything will work out in the end if I don't give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment