Last week I applied for a job in Manhattan at a museum that I would really like to work at, okay I would work at any museum that would have me at this point, but I really would like to be a part of this one. So anyway I applied for a job that I felt that I was qualified for and capable of doing last week at this particular museum. I was hoping that I would hear something back at least that they received the application and maybe whether or not it was being considered. Today I opened up my email and I saw that I had an email from the person in charge of screening candiates. As you can imagine I was filled with excitement. Even if it was an email saying that my information had been received that would be better than nothing. So I opened up the email and saw that they had received my application and that unfortunately I had not been chosen for this position. Sadness! But on the otherhand I was extremely excited about the reply because I think it is the first personal reply I have gotten in more than a year that simply said thank you for applying but you were not selected. It really does make a difference when they take the time out of their schedules to simply say, "Thanks, but no thanks."
I have lamented to my mother over the last year about how frustrating the process of job hunting is because many organizations simply do not respond. I know that with millions of people looking for employment many agencies are overwhelmed and with business costs being stripped constantly they may not be able to mail everyone a letter but it makes a big difference in the process and in the morale of the job seeker when you apply for a position and someone has the courtesy to respond and tell you what the final outcome is. Many times I have applied for a job and simply just not heard back and I have to go on the assumption that if they have not responded within a certain amount of time to just give up on the hope of getting that position. But at least when there is a reply you can know what the outcome is and move on not expecting that there may still be a shred of hope left that they may call or email you. So I am disappointed I wasn't able to get the job but I am thrilled that I actually got a response!
No comments:
Post a Comment