April 15, 2011

What Happend to the Nightly News?

Over the past two weeks I have been watching the nightly news pretty diligently because of all of the things that have been going on with the government. So I have continued watching throughout this week as well because mom doesn't have cable here and I can't just flip over to CNN to see the news crawl like I normally would. So the first story on ABC World News this evening was about the President (Obama) speaking at a dinner held yesterday evening for people who are supporting him for his next campaign for President. He was speaking while his mic was hot and the comments made it to the press. Then in a review of past president's being caught off guard ABC World News ran clips of our former presidents making off handed comments that they did not know were going to be picked up by their microphones and then reverberated through the press. Several of those incidents involved the presidents using some language that had to be edited out. One of the incidents came from former President Bill Clinton. His clip showed him using the Lord's name in vain and to my surprise, especially for the evening news, it was not edited out but instead played unedited and with captions in order to read exactly what he was saying. I thought to myself what has happened to the news? Why is it possible for the evening news that I think of as a seemingly safe program to watch even becoming littered with speech that I am sure many Americans, not just Christians would find offensive. Have we lost that much of our filter? Are the restrictions that loose now? I find it sad that you can barely trust any form of media these days because there may be a word or a phrase thrown in there that will completely catch you off guard. And the most shocking part to me is that words that used to be considered off limits for the general public during viewing hours when families would watch television are creeping their way in. Where does it end? It is really bothersome that these kinds of things keep happening. This is not the first time I have been blindsided by language that I thought you couldn't use on TV but I realize that it has slowly and progressively working its way in for years. It's just sad to see and I hope that things will get better and not worse as far as these kind of incidents are concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment