October 6, 2011

3 Months and Counting

Three months from today my twenties will be over! I can't believe it. I know what people are talking about now when they say they can't believe the age they are because they still feel the same. It's hard for me to believe that this whole decade of being twenty has almost been completed. I am excited about turning 30 but I just can't believe that I'm at this point. As I have written before I expected to be at a much different place in my life by the time that I reached this age. But last night as I was watching the news tributes to Steve Jobs I was reminded that things do not always go according to plan. In footage from the commencement speech he gave at Stanford in 2005, Jobs told of being jobless at 30 after having been kicked out of his own company. I'm sure that was not what he was expecting. And there are others as well who have probably taken a survey of their lives at a certain point in time and thought that there would have been different events that would have happend to them by that point. I think that for me it is just a reminder that God is in control and I am on His schedule not my own. And I need to get rid of thinking that society's norms or expectations should matter to me. I know they matter to others but for my own life they should not matter, whatever the future holds I know that what will happen will happen at the moment when it is meant to and not a moment before or after. That is hard to deal with at times because of course I want to know what's going to happen and if it's better than what is going on now, which I suspect it will be, I definitely want it to happen as soon as possible. But there is a purpose in patience and there is meaning to waiting patiently for something you really want. There are times where it just gets to be too much and then I just have to come back to my senses and just accept that I am where I am and I need to make the most of that and know that the Lord will move me when He's ready and He will lead me where He has for me to go. So I look forward to these last three months of being 29 and I plan to enjoy them to whatever degree I can. In January I am going to Savannah to celebrate my birthday at The Lady and Sons restaurant (Hey y'all!). I really hope that Paula Deen might be there. But I just plan to enjoy it. I have people in my life who sometimes bring me down or think that I should be doing things a certain way. They think that until I get to a certain point or have certain things that I should not be enjoying myself. But if I waited until everything in my life worked out perfectly to start enjoying my life I probably would never enjoy my life. So that's the purpose of my Savannah trip. To have fun and to enjoy time away from Charlotte and to just relax. I'm not going to dwell on the things I don't have or the personal failures that have occurred during a time that I expected to be a time of personal accomplishment. I'm just going to enjoy turning 30 and look forward to the start of a new year and a new decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment