October 1, 2011

Gandalf the Grey

Last month when I got my hair straightened for my interview at the museum my hairdresser made the announcement that I had gotten my first grey hair. It really wasn't my first but the others were hidden in my new growth. This one I assumed was a root to tip long grey hair. I had not really thought about it that much in the weeks since she made the announcement. However, I spotted Gandalf tonight. It was so strange to see this 8 inch silver hair resting among all of my brown locks. I just stared in fascination for 5 minutes. Then after I did that of course it bothered me that Gandalf was there and would potentially become noticeable to the whole world by being a grey tease sticking out in my bang or my pony poof. I plucked Gandalf right out of my head. I realized as I stood there with him in my tweezers that I have to stop this because at some point Gandalf will grow back and he will have friends. I have already been preparing myself for this time that is coming sooner than I realized by scoping out henna rinses online. I fully intend to check with my hairdresser as to whether or not she will do my henna rinse for me or knows someone who can. I don't know what it is but I am just not ready to see long silver hairs growing out of my head. I guess because part of me is in serious denial that the countdown to 30 is in full swing. I feel really happy about the fact that I made it to this point of my life without a whole lot of greys pouring out of my scalp but the actual looking at them is another thing to take. I saved Gandalf in a box because it is a "moment" that I want to treasure although now I do kind of feel vain for plucking him out. But like I said he'll be back and I am sure there are more to follow him as well.

Happy October! I LOVE Fall! 

No comments:

Post a Comment