October 3, 2011

Curls! Curls! Curls!

My hair has become a bigger obsession in my life this year as opposed to past years. A couple of weeks ago I went back to curly hair after having it straightened for an interview. I didn't want to feel like I had wasted my money so I kept the straight hair for as long as I could, about three weeks. Then I shampooed and conditioned and re-curlified my hair. It looked really good but we were having a late summer/early fall heat wave and the curls did not last long. So this week I washed and conditioned and hoped for the best. My hair came out nicely but not like it had prior to the straightening. I'm not sure if my hair is retraining itself or if I need some new products. I have become a product junkie, always looking for another wonder product to make my hair look like I want it to. So I am not sure if I need to invest in more product or just give my hair time to adjust. One thing that I did notice was that now that I am using the Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo (a non sulfate shampoo) that I don't get the same results with my Palmer's Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner. When I use this conditioner with Super Slip Sudsy Shampoo I get lots of volume and plump to my hair, and less frizz and shrinkage. This go around my curls seem flat and more frizzy. I am also wondering if my use of the Kera Care Hair Milk had anything to do with it as well. I tend to want to use as many products as possible but I already use the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie so it may not be necessary to add hair milk on top of that. I had thought about trying some products from Miss Jessie's and also Carol's Daughter but I think that I can find what I need locally without having to order it online. I wondered if MJ's Curly Meringue or Quick Curls might be better for a softer curl and more definition but I am not sure if these products would work with my hair texture. I definitely don't need softer hold. I think maybe my hair is just going through a phase. It needs some deep conditioning love because I haven't used a coconut protein pack on it in a while and it is getting colder so it needs more moisture anyway. Also I plan to get a trim in November. I need to make it more of a point to get regular trims. I think every six to eight weeks works and I wish I was ambitious enough to try and do it myself but I do not want to jack anything up. So I am hoping that after I solve my puzzle of conditioner and also adding back the protein pack that I will have the hair that I was getting at the end of the summer right before straightening. Also I am interested in trying two conditioners. I want to try Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner and Shea Moisture African Black Soap Balancing Conditioner or Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner. I am hoping that one of these products will balance the shampoo and give me more moisturized hair and bouncier curls. Also as I mentioned previously there might be an adjustment going on with my hair after wearing it straight for almost a month too. I tell you the hair journey seems to go on and on and on. But I know that I will find the right products eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment